One of Charlotte’s top mixologists offers her take on the quintessential holiday cocktail.
by Caroline Portillo
Whether you’re entertaining or just making a date with your couch to watch It’s a Wonderful Life, whip up a night of cozy with this eggnog recipe from Bardo’s head mixologist Amanda Britton. Crackling fire optional.
Carolina holiday eggnog
3 oz. Doc Porter’s bourbon
2 oz. Muddy River spiced rum
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
2/3 cup powdered sugar + an additional 1 tbsp.
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. heavy cream
16 oz. whole milk
1/2 tsp. powdered cinnamon
1. In a bowl, using a mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar, and continue to beat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Add the milk, cream, bourbon, rum and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
4. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running, gradually add
1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve. Garnish with grated nutmeg.